During the winter months, preventing damp and the build-up of moisture in a garage with valuable cars and bikes can be a headache. Even if a garage is regularly visited, some can suffer from damp, due to their location. Using a dehumidifier can help prevent mould damage to organic materials like upholstery or rust on metal parts. But how do you choose the correct product?
When choosing your dehumidifier consider:
- The vehicle will be in an unheated cold space over winter and not all dehumidifiers work well in the cold.
- Adding some warmth to the garage might be a bonus so that it is not so cold when you work in there.
- All dehumidifiers have the ability to drain water away continuously so don’t worry too much about that.
How to get the best out of a dehumidifier:
- Place the dehumidifier on a level surface
- Drain the water away using a hose. If no sink drain through the wall and into the vegetable patch! (otherwise the dehumidifier will turn itself off when it is full and you will need to go back every day to empty the tank).
- Use as little hose as possible and don’t let anything like soil block the flow of the water.
- If you just want to run your dehumidifier for a few hours a day then the Meaco DD8L Zambezi should be considered because it is the only model to have a Daily Run Timer built in.
- Seal the garage up the best you can. You don’t want to be dehumidifying the whole of Britain!
- Leave the doors of a vehicle open so that the damp air in a car can migrate towards the dehumidifier and be dried.
Keeping down costs:
- A desiccant dehumidifier has a heater inside it as part of the desiccant regeneration process. The Meaco desiccant dehumidifiers have two heater settings at 330 watts and 650 watts. So by setting the dehumidifier to single fan speed the heater will never go above 330 watts and by selecting
a humidity setting of 60%rh you will minimise the dehumidifiers running time.
- For those that like to have some background heat the 330 watts from the desiccant dehumidifier can be seen as an alternative to installing heating.
- For those desperate to minimise the dehumidifier’s runtime the Meaco DD8L Zambezi is the only desiccant dehumidifier to have Daily Run Timer so it can be set to switch on and off at set times and will shut down safely each time.
- Clean your filter, this will increase the lifespan of the dehumidifier and will keep it efficient ensuring that your running costs are reduced.
The Meaco DD8L Junior is ideal for use in garage. If you want to restrict the hours of operation then choose the award-winning DD8L Zambezi with its Daily Run Timer.